Wednesday, June 23, 2010

Ooh baby baby, ooh baby baby, ooh baby baby, ba-ba ba-ba baby (Yeah it’s the totally awesome salt’n’pepa kind)


To add to my challenges this semester in dealing with distance education, working full time in a pretty full-on position with some 'not so understanding' superiors and feeling seriously left behind at uni because I am not a teacher librarian already- just struggling to try and become one- I have also fallen pregnant during the semester.

 Andrew and I are very excited about the upcoming arrival of the little pikelet sometime in Dec-Jan but it has taken its toll on me physically. Gone are the days when I could stay up all night to finish assignments and then get up and do a full day at work and do it all over again. This little black duck is falling asleep on the lounge at about 7.30pm, totally braindead and unable to cope with any thought more complex than 'I would like a piece of vegemite toast please'.

 This whole not being in control of one's own body is freaky and is not conducive to study and full time work commitments and both have suffered a bit because of it, but as I am preparing myself for motherhood and getting used to the idea that someone else will be calling all the shots around here from now on, I am starting to get a bit of perspective. If things slip a little, oh well, I am doing a very important job from the lounge chair- growing a little person... a future learner.

I caught my first good glimpse of the pikelet yesterday at my 12 week ultrasound and it was truly amazing. All of the little insignificant shite that usually besets me was all forgotten. I am in love and my love waved at me.

Hopefully the world won't be too harsh with me if I am a bit slack here and there and maybe not as articulate or energetic as I may have been not so long ago, 'cos in the last few weeks I have done something pretty amazing ...I have grown a brain, a heart, lungs, a bladder, a stomach, a liver, a couple of sets of kidneys, a couple of arms, legs, eyes, ears, a mouth, and other miscellaneous rude bits... and wow that made me a pretty busy person.

As I head into 2nd trimester I am hoping my energy levels will improve and I will be able to function as a (mostly) rational human for at least the next few months. So watch this space and judge for yourselves.

No comments:

Post a Comment